Custom-Made Restorations to Repair Your Smile
Dental crowns are one of the most common and versatile restorative treatments. These individually fabricated restorations go on top of your damaged teeth to treat a wide range of concerns.
What Is a Crown and How Is It Placed?
A crown is a cap that is individually fabricated to match the natural shape and color of your surrounding teeth. To place a crown, Dr. Foust will carefully reshape your tooth by removing any damage to create a stronger foundation for your crown. An impression and other records, from which the crown will be fabricated, will be taken and sent to an offsite dental lab. Once the crown is completed, Dr. Foust will affix the restoration to your tooth with dental cement.
We offer crowns made from several different materials, and Dr. Foust will help you choose the one that is right for you. Your options include:
- Metal: Metal is incredibly strong, but it will not blend with your smile.
- Porcelain: Dr. Foust and the lab technician can choose a shade of porcelain that is a near-perfect match to your natural teeth.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal: PFM crowns have a metal core, so they are as strong as all-metal crowns. They also have a porcelain coating that will blend with your smile. However, at some point, the metal may show through the outer shell.
- Zirconia: Zirconia is an advanced form of porcelain that is virtually as strong as metal. It comes in a wide range of shades, and offers an incredibly natural sparkle.
Why Are Crowns Beneficial?
A crown can perform a wide range of functions to restore your bite and smile. Among other things, crowns can:
- Repair a broken or cracked tooth
- Support a weak tooth
- Cover a large cavity
- Cover your tooth after a root canal
- Top a dental implant
- Conceal severe cosmetic blemishes
Is a Dental Crown Right for You?
If you have a broken, weakened, or otherwise compromised tooth, you may be an excellent candidate for a crown. Dr. Foust will provide a full consultation to determine if this is the optimal treatment for you. At this time, she will also help you choose the right material for your restorative needs. To find out a crown is your best option, call Dental Impressions at (515) 965-0230. Since 2006, Dr. Foust has proudly served the residents of Ankeny, IA, as well as residents from Alleman, Elkhart, Bondurant, and all surrounding communities.