When a child loses a tooth, it probably goes under the pillow for the tooth fairy. Adult tooth loss is a different matter. According to a 2012 study from Center for Disease Control, roughly 1 in every 2 Americans over 30 has some degree of periodontal disease (infection of the gums). Periodontal disease is the leading cause of tooth loss in adults. You can cut your risk of perio issues by maintaining good oral hygiene habits at home, and seeing an Ankeny, IA dentist regularly for more intensive care.
Types of Perio Problems
Gum disease can range from mild redness and inflammation in the early stages, to teeth that become loose in the gums, when periodontal disease has taken strong hold. In the early stages, known as gingivitis, you may be able to reverse the situation by careful attention to brushing and flossing. A dental deep cleaning can also clear up some perio problems, allowing you to maintain the now-healthy gums at home. If left untreated, perio issues can mean teeth are lost, and restorative action, such as a dental bridge or dentures must be considered.
Some Risk Factors for Perio Issues
There are steps you can take to lessen the likelihood that you will lose a tooth to perio infection in adulthood. Curtailing risky habits, upping preventive, and staying in close contact with a trusted Ankeny dentist are two good places to start.
- Men are statistically more likely to experience periodontal issues than women
- Maintain excellent home care, which includes twice daily brushing, and flossing daily
- Visit your dentist every 6 months so the friendly and knowledgeable dental team can keep an eye on your periodontal health
- Cut back or stop using tobacco products
- Keep blood sugar and diabetes under control
- Keep blood pressure within medically healthy guidelines
- Women who are pregnant should inform their dentist to insure periodontal issues do not affect the health of mother or baby
- Some systemic conditions ( for example, malnutrition or constant exposure to stress) are linked to poor periodontal health
We Can Help You Join the Perio Healthy Population
Healthy teeth are too important to lose to gum disease. If you suspect you are at risk for perio disease, don’t put off getting expert help. Visit us for a dental checkup in Ankeny, IA by contacting Dental Impressions to schedule a visit at (515) 965-0230.